Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Motivational Speaking For Elementary Students

Here is another "first" for me: I have been contacted by photojournalist John Gross of KSTP TV (our Minneapolis/St. Paul ABC TV affiliate) to join him as a guest for two motivational speeches/presentations at an elementary school this Friday! The speeches will involve the topics of goal-setting and getting better grades. I will be getting more details soon about this exciting opportunity, but we will be incorporating how some of my childhood and life experiences have played a part in my achievements in powerlifting -- and what I have learned through the sport.

I'm totally honored by this and didn't expect it. I've given speeches to college students and other adults, but never to youth. But having a 10 1/2-year-old son myself, I'm not entirely a stranger to giving Our Future a little pep-talk now and then :)

Here's what happens when a motivated 84 lb. kid grows up watching his mom deadlift over... and over... and over again...



(...you know that came with a post-pull pep-talk about telling that foot what to do next time...)

As he works on perfecting his lifting, Glen is already being sponsored in this sport! Thanks for your support, Pete!

4 comments:

fawn said...

How cool is that? That is great news Cheryl... I wish we would have had cool speakers like you at my school when I was growing up! You are going to rock the housek!

PetitePowerlifter said...

Thanks very much, Fawn -- I appreciate your encouragement and hope it turns out well. I'm looking forward to it and will keep you posted on what happens!

Maura said...

That is cool! Hope it goes well!

Maura

PetitePowerlifter said...

Thanks very much, Maura -- it did go well and was a great learning experience, too!