Sunday, December 7, 2008

Bringing Motivation to Kids -- through Powerlifting!











Last Friday, I received an awesome opportunity to bring Powerlifting beyond the gyms and the platform -- and boost the spirits of about 100 5th, 6th and 7th graders at two assemblies in their school cafeteria!

John Gross, photojournalist from KSTP TV and ABC TV news reporter, invited me to be a guest speaker with him at Grandview Middle School in Mound, Minn. With fun props, demonstrations and stories, we brought the important topics of goal-setting, determination, motivation, how to handle failure, getting better grades and self-esteem to this young and impressionable audience, their teachers, faculty, staff, and even the school principal.

John introduced me by asking how tall I am, and how much I weigh. He then turned to the kids and asked them, based on my size, what sport they believed I competed in -- and we heard responses ranging from gymnastics, to swimming, to running, to (the very cute one) basketball.

He played the KSTP Eyewitness News video clip/feature he had produced about me and Mitch Edelstein, and our powerlifting accomplishments earlier this year. As the footage aired, it was fun to hear the kids' reactions. Mitch was also in the audience, and when John told the audience about our best deadlifts -- mine at 335 lbs. and Mitch's at 700 lbs. -- I heard a few "that's SICK!!" and "no WAY!!" shrieks that really told me this cool, young crowd was totally engaged.

I was able to talk about how I achieve my goals in powerlifting and how I overcame tough times as a kid, being called names because of my size and racial background. I shared how, even when I wasn't involved in athletics as a kid, I found a way to compete with others through academics. And it was gratifying to be able to tell these kids that they could do whatever they set their minds to, if they set goals, want to achieve it enough and do what it takes to get there, step by step, and with patience. I was able to share my son Glen's recent lifting and personal goals and achievements as an example of someone their age, doing big things. And I was able to talk about how their thoughts and their own beliefs can, and will, affect what they are able to achieve.

It was even more fun when the kids and teachers asked for autographs afterward!! They approached both Mitch and me, asking questions that only these awesome kids could ask -- like, "Could you pick your boyfriend up off the ground?" I was able to talk to especially the girls and realized I had finally gotten the rare and precious chance to take some of the things I've learned in my sport and in life, and pass it on to them!

Endless thanks to John for this honor and opportunity of a lifetime. I look forward to working with him again!!

2 comments:

fawn said...

Way to go Cheryl! Watch out, one of those little girls might grow up and break all your records!

Great photos!

PetitePowerlifter said...

Thanks so much, Fawn! No doubt, I really could see the wheels turning in some of their minds :) A great friend of mine, Nancy Goldstein, took the awesome photos.