Friday, December 5, 2008

Chilly Deadlift Night at The Press

We Minnesotans really are hardy (and crazy). The Power Room at The Press last night started off with just me and Mike Seigler in there, then Kevin Kartak, then Brian Durham and Sean Timonen... and next thing I sensed (when I wasn't focusing on my deads), the room was packed with serious lifters, every piece of equipment in there taken -- and the space still felt like an icebox.

Well, the whole dang STATE is an icebox...and will be, for several months forward. I've survived 15 winters here; you'd think I would be used to this by now.

Sumo Deadlifts (except for 1st warmup)
45x6 (conventional)
45x6 (sumo)
135x1
165x1
195x1

Deadlift suit on...
225x1 (straps down)
255x1
285x1 (straps up)

Heavy single for the day...
305x1

Drop set...
275x2

Conventional Deadlifts
245x3x2

I deviated and improvised again, this time with the conventionals, as I was pressed for time and needed to leave sooner than usual. Instead of doing bentover rows (or any other assistance work), I chose instead to stay where I was and add an extra set of conventionals, each with an extra rep. These went real well, and I believe they probably served my purposes even better than any rows could have.

If you ever need to cut your workout short, focus on the powerlifts. Assistance work is meant for assistance!

I could not leave The Press without carrying out a couple of 25 lb. dumbbells for the speech presentation at the school. Maybe I should count that for something, too :)

No comments: