Monday, January 19, 2009

Mind Over Matter: Getting Stubborn with Squats

They say that in powerlifting competition, first and foremost, the battle is between you and the weight.

There are days when you have to be stubborn, no matter what happens. Yesterday was an exercise in bouncing back from failure. I am no stranger to this, but it really takes all that I've got to mentally overcome each time.

Squats
45x10
45x5
75x3
105x1
135x1
165x1 (Titan suit)
195x1
225x1
245x1 (straps up)

Heavy squat of the day...
265x0

Yes, that's right... what should have been an opener for me by now, had rendered me incapable of standing up that time. Mike Siegler was spotting me while Mitch called my depth, and we also video'ed the moment so I could see just how low I was going and what my posture and speed looked like.

You know what I thought? I am utterly sick of being intimidated -- a little or a lot -- by what a squat is going to do or not do (or feel like) with a depth call.

So you know what I did? After Mitch asked me, "what are you gonna do?" I decided I am going to squat that little number again, and this time, it's going down (and UP). So I said I would repeat that weight, and he agreed pretty quickly.

(Funny thing about my coach/training partner/boyfriend... he always has 5x's more confidence/aggression about what weight I should do next -- compared to his approach to what he would do next -- whether in meets or in training.)

Of course, my hips felt fried, so I wasn't sure what was going to happen. That's where the unlikely combination of faith and wanting to lay some hurt on something, served my purpose.

SO... once again... this time a little more stoked...

265x1 - deep

That was the longest, hardest-fought squat I have ever successfully completed. Usually I hit failure right away, or it comes up smoothly. Something about this screams, "it's mental!!!" Well, now I will be consistently stubborn.

I was relieved but, of course, wondering aloud why that was difficult to begin with. Mitch said, "Doesn't matter, the fact that you came back and got that, after failing with it, was pretty good! It could have been a lot worse!"

I think he is becoming more of an optimist, day by day :) Who knew??!!

Drop set...
225x2 (straps down, deep with Jane Siegler's depth calls and Mitch spotting)

Heavy walkout
295 x slow count of 10

Static hold
325 x slow count of 10

"Jammers" with pauses, raw
50x10
70x8
90x8
110x8

This is why I say, it doesn't matter how that last rep felt... every attempt is new.

4 comments:

Greg Godwin said...

Way to stay with it CA! It doesn't quite make sense that a NP 300+ puller is psyched by a 265 squat. Please go open a serious can of whup@ss :-)

What's a jammer?

PetitePowerlifter said...

Thanks very much, GG! It doesn't. I have a whole case of cans at home, ready to go these next few weeks.

I don't know if "Jammers" are the official name for them, but you've probably seen them -- they are basically squats done in a sort of standing apperatus, loaded with plates on either side. Pads rest on your shoulders. You can keep your posture pretty straight with these and squat down low until it hits a "stop" in the track. I use that to be able to pause completely and then work on a fast, explosive ascent from the bottom.

I am STILL feeling these today...

fawn said...

Way to gut it out Cheryl! I was doing 1/2 squats with 265 the other day, cripes, that is heavy for me and I weight 125lbs! I can't imagine how that weight feels on a 105'er! Nice job!

PetitePowerlifter said...

Thank you so much, Fawn/Squat Babe!! IMO, way worse than it feels in my hands while in a sumo stance :)

I've just gotten used to the weight from years of handling it...you will definitely get there, too. I have found my heavy walkouts and (even heavier) static holds to be really helpful with getting used to weight on my back and setting up with it.

I expect more because I have gotten competition-legal-depth with 290 and want to get back to that. I appreciate the ongoing support, encouragement and positivity, as I close in on Women's Nationals!!