Saturday, February 21, 2009

2009 USAPL Women's Nationals Results

My email to friends and family, immediately after I won my weight class at Women's Nationals last Saturday, Feb. 14th:

Hi -- a quick report from Women's Nationals, this Valentine's Day in sunny and warm Miami, Fla...

I am very grateful to say that I had a perfect day today and went 9/9 (all attempts good) for the first time in my powerlifting career!! I had the pleasure and inspiration of having my friend, the veteran and legendary Ann Leverett, on hand as a still-solid-and-strong Master competitor (breaking several American records herself).. and awesome and unexpected competition from another one of the legends in my weight class -- April Schumaker (who turns out was formerly April Delmore)!!! Because of this lady's mind-blowing huge bench press of 198 lbs. @ 104 bodyweight, getting all my lifts was necessary to win my third Nationals and remain undefeated...

My numbers:

Squat - 287 lbs. (state and personal record)
Bench - 176 lbs.
Deadlift - 336 lbs. (state and personal record)
Total - 799 lbs. (state and personal record)

Every one of my third attempts were in creeper mode... I had to give 110% to grind them out.

Thanks to Mitch for helping me pick the right numbers and with all my warmups and gear...

More to share later. Thanks very much for reading!



While I'm getting ready to blog a more detailed report of what went down (and up!) at Nationals in Miami, check out these links...

Official Results

Women's Nationals Open Champs (discussion on one of the USAPL forums)

Mitch's Congrats and Quick Report (discussion on same forum)

Observations/Speculation from PowerliftingWatch.com

2 comments:

fawn said...

Way to go Cheryl!

PetitePowerlifter said...

Thanks a lot, Fawn! You were right about that gear :)