Friday, November 28, 2008

Post-Thanksgiving Deadlifts

My training schedule can sometimes be... let's say, flexible (and when I look back at my calendar of how 2008's training went, it's amazing how I have even maintained my strength, let alone made gains with the deadlift -- it was all OVER the place!). I typically pull on Wednesday or Thursday evenings, but with Thanksgiving this week, my deadlift training was pushed over to today. Recently, Mitch changed his training routine and schedule up, which means he's squatting as an "early-bird" on Fridays now -- and I'd totally forgotten. Long story short, he asked if I wanted to ride with him to The Press at 9:15 am, so my schedule changed too, and I deadlifted this morning earlier than expected.

I'm posting this in the evening, and I am already feeling it! It's too bad the hot tub closes early at the IGH Community Center tonight, or I would have made it a point to get in there for sure.

I'm doing two 6-week training cycles for this lift, the first one ending with a projected goal of 335 (or possibly 340).

Sumo DLs (except 1st set)

Warm-ups...
45x6 (conventional)
45x6 (sumo)
135x1
165x1
195x1

DL suit on...
225x1 (straps down)
255x1

Heavy single for today...
290x1 (straps up)

Drop-set with reps...
260x3x2 (1st set, straps down... 2nd set, straps up)

Conventional DLs:
230x3x2 (2nd set stronger and more explosive than the 1st; came complete with bloody shins and displaced skin, but refrained from posting such graphic photos online)

Bentover Rows:
45x8
65x8
85x6x3

I'm saving my ab work for tomorrow morning, after heavy benches!

I have teased Mitch more than once about starting his own blog... but after his own experiences today, we both could see why that would not be a good idea. LOL. I admire how he continues with this sport non-stop, even after 27 years. After raw squatting this morning, things came to a standstill and I was a little worried about him. But then he was singing "Too Legit 2 Quit" a little later, so I think he'll be OK.

Angela Simons baked up a bunch of cookies (again) and spoiled us on the way out the door. We brought them home and feasted on Thanksgiving leftovers. (I absolutely love this holiday... and no, I'm not sick of turkey yet!) Blueberry pie and ice cream is on the agenda for later tonight - the ultimate pre-bench power diet :) Maybe I should be thankful I can't compete in the 97's anymore, at least in USAPL/IPF... LOL.

No comments: